[Colloquium] Reminder: Wednesday's talk by Carl Kesselman

Margery Ishmael marge at cs.uchicago.edu
Tue May 30 10:05:07 CDT 2006

DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE - TALK

Date:  Wednesday, May 31st, 2006
Time: 2:30 p.m.
Place: Ryerson 251

Speaker:  Carl Kesselman, Director, Center for Grid Technologies,
Information Sciences Institute, University of Southern California

Title:  Virtual Communities and Science in the Large

Abstract:

Increasingly, significant activities in science, business and society
at large take place within the context of distributed,
computationally enabled collaborations.  Large-scale science
collaborations such as those found in astrophysics, astronomy,
geophysics, and particle physics are typical of this new type of
collaboration. Driven by requirements for a broad range of skill
sets, participants and resources, the concept of community becomes
central organizing principal for these emerging computationally
empowered explorations.  However, unlike traditional communities,
which tend to have well defined members and boundaries, today's
scientific communities are dynamic, distributed, and span
institutional boundaries.  This has lead to the description of these
structures as virtual organizations.

Virtual organizations more then just the people, but encompasses the
services, resources and capabilities that are shared to achieve the
goals of the shared endeavor. This leads to the inevitable question
of how these distributed are communities formed, how are they
maintained, how to they create new services and capabilities for
their members, how do they get work done. Technologies such as
service oriented architectures and Grids provide underlying
foundation, but now need have mechanisms for identifying, creating
and operating distributed virtual communities. In this talk, I will
explore the question of how to create and empower virtual communities
and how we can support community formation within the context of our
information technology infrastructure.

***The talk will be followed by refreshments in Ryerson 255***

Host:  Ridgway Scott

People in need of assistance should call 773-834-8977 in advance.

For information on future CS talks: http://www.cs.uchicago.edu/events