[Colloquium] Reminder: today's talk by Dan Grossman

Margery Ishmael marge at cs.uchicago.edu
Fri May 26 08:59:38 CDT 2006

DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE - TALK

Date: Friday, May 26th, 2006
Time: 2:30 p.m.
Place: Ryerson 251

Speaker:  DAN GROSSMAN

From:  Department of Computer Science and Engineering, University of
Washington

Title:  The Why, What, and How of Software Transactions for More
Reliable Concurrency

Abstract:

Software transactions (also known as atomicity) hold great promise for
making shared-memory concurrent programming easier.  We will discuss
recent and ongoing research from the SCAT (Scalable Concurrency
Abstractions via Transactions) project at the University of Washington
that addresses the motivation, design, and implementation of strong
software transactions.  Our motivation takes the novel view that
transactions can improve concurrency much like garbage collection can
improve memory management.  Our language design work makes atomicity
first-class, allows native code within transactions, and relegates
condition variables to a library.  Our implementation work does not
require special-purpose hardware, optimistic concurrency protocols, or
low-level optimizations.  Rather, our prototype for Caml assumes only
a uniprocessor and our prototype for Java is a source-to-source
transformation that can be used with any Java implementation.

***The talk will be followed by refreshments in Ryerson 255***

Host:  John Reppy

People in need of assistance should call 773-834-8977 in advance.

For information on future CS talks: http://www.cs.uchicago.edu/events