[Colloquium] TTI-C Talks Next Week 3/22-3/24

Katherine Cumming kcumming at tti-c.org
Wed Mar 16 15:44:29 CST 2005

TOYOTA TECHNOLOGICAL INSTITUTE TALKS

Show and Tell Series
Speaker:  John Langford, TTI-C
Speaker's homepage:  http://www.tti-c.org//langford.html

Time:  Tuesday, March 22nd @ 12:15pm
Location:  TTI-C Conference Room
Lunch/Refreshments provided

Title: TBA

Abstract: TBA

Learning Theory Program
Speaker:  Pierre Tarres, University of Paul-Sabatier
Speaker's homepage:  http://www.lsp.ups-tlse.fr/Fp/Tarres/

Time:  Wednesday, March 23rd, 2005 @ 3:00pm
Location:  TTI-C Conference Room
Refreshments provided

Title: Stochastic Algorithms and Learning

Abstract:
We discuss the asymptotic behavior of some stochastic algorithms arising
in learning and self-organization. First we introduce some new results
on the two-armed bandit problem, interpret them in terms of stochastic
approximation of an underlying dynamical system, and explain how the
methods in this framework adapt to other questions in reinforcement
learning in games and generalized urn models. Then we present some
problems related to self-organization appearing in reinforcement on
graphs, whose study requires a combination of stochastic approximation
and Markov chain methods.

Guest Speaker
Speaker:  Riccardo Pucella, Cornell University
Speaker's homepage:  http://www.cs.cornell.edu/riccardo

Time:  Thursday, March 24th, 2005 @ 3:00pm
Location:  TTI-C Conference Room
Refreshments provided

Title:  TBA

Abstract:  TBA

If you have questions, or would like to meet the speaker, please contact
Katherine at 773-834-1994 or kcumming at tti-c.org.   For information on
future TTI-C talks and events, please go to the TTI-C Events page:
http://www.tti-c.org/events.html.  TTI-C (1427 East 60th Street,
Chicago, IL  60637)