[Colloquium] TTI-C Talk: Monica Chew,3/17 @ 3:00pm

Katherine Cumming kcumming at tti-c.org
Tue Mar 15 08:59:01 CST 2005

TOYOTA TECHNOLOGICAL INSTITUTE TALK

Speaker:  Monica Chew,  UC Berkeley
Speaker's homepage:  http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~mmc/

Time:  Thursday, March 17th, 3:00pm
Location:  TTI-C Conference Room
Lunch/Refreshments provided

Title:

Human or not?  How To Tell the Difference.

Abstract:
I present work on CAPTCHAs, tests to distinguish humans from machines in
an online environment.
CAPTCHAs mitigate abuse of internet services. For example, adversaries
write software robots to
register free email accounts and use the accounts to send spam. CAPTCHAs
allow us to distinguish
legitimate requests from automated requests. I implement and measure
CAPTCHAs based on text
recognition, image recognition, and collaborative filtering.
Contributions of this work include a new
metric for evaluating CAPTCHAs, the most secure text-based CAPTCHA to
date, the first study of image
recognition CAPTCHAs, and first proposal for collaborative filtering
CAPTCHAs.

Bio: Monica Chew finished her PhD in computer science at the University
if California, Berkeley in
December 2004.  Her thesis advisor was Doug Tygar, and her main research
area is computer security.

If you have questions, or would like to meet the speaker, please contact
Katherine at 773-834-1994 or kcumming at tti-c.org.   For information on
future TTI-C talks and events, please go to the TTI-C Events page:
http://www.tti-c.org/events.html.  TTI-C (1427 East 60th Street,
Chicago, IL  60637)