[Staff] [Faculty] [Colloquium] Jayant Madhavan today

Nita Yack nitayack at midway.uchicago.edu
Fri Mar 11 14:02:32 CST 2005

COMPUTER SCIENCE
The University of Chicago
TALK

Friday, March 11, 2005
2:30 p.m.
Ryerson 251

Jayant Madhavan
University of Washington
http://www.cs.washington.edu/homes/jayant/

Title: Schemas, Heterogeneity, and Matching

Abstract: Schema heterogeneity arises in any application dealing with
multiple sources of data. Large enterprises have to cope with the
heterogeneity arising from the need to import, export, or even
continuously inter-operate between numerous databases. Web portals
integrating information from multiple web sites have to cope with the
heterogeneity in the individual site data representations. The need to
rapidly deploy and easily maintain such systems on a large scale
requires robust automated solutions for coping with schema
heterogeneity.

This talk will focus is on a crucial component of bridging schema
heterogeneity - the task of identifying corresponding elements in
different schemas, otherwise called Schema Matching. I will describe a
schema matching system that is extensible and enables easy addition and
combination of multiple matching techniques. In particular I will
address the following question: can a matching system acquire expertise
from the analysis of known schemas and past matching tasks, and use
this expertise to better discover matches between new and unseen
schemas? By doing so, our system is able to provide better
matching performance especially for schema pairs that are hard to match
directly.

The ability to effectively manage heterogeneity also enhances current
search applications by allowing schema-guided querying and retrieval. I
will describe such enhancements in the context of web service search
and desktop search.

Host:  Dave MacQueen
*The talk will be followed by refreshments in Ryerson 255*
Persons who need assistance should call 773-702-6614
Nita Yack
Departmental Administrator
Computer Science Department
1100 E. 58th Street - Room 151