[Colloquium] Reminder: TTI-C Talk: Rob Johnson (Today @ 10:00am)

Katherine Cumming kcumming at tti-c.org
Thu Mar 10 08:57:02 CST 2005

TOYOTA TECHNOLOGICAL INSTITUTE TALK

Thursday, March 10th @ 10:00am
TTI-C Conference Room (1427 E. 60th St. - 2nd Floor)
Refreshments provided

Speaker:  Rob Johnson, UC Berkeley
Speaker's homepage:  <http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~rtjohnso/>
www.cs.berkeley.edu/~rtjohnso/

Title:  Software Security Verification with Type Qualifiers
Abstract:
Software bugs cause almost all security vulnerabilities, and attackers
exploit these weaknesses to send Spam, launch DDOS attacks, and defraud
online banks and merchants.  By making improvements in software
security, we can prevent many of these attacks.  I will present new
static analysis techniques, based on type qualifier inference, for
automatically and efficiently finding bugs in large software systems.
This approach has many advantages, including scalability, precision,
usability, and soundness, enabling it to verify the absence of bugs,
which is critical to security.  I have implemented these methods in a
static analysis tool, CQual, and used it to find dozens of bugs in the
Linux kernel.
If you have questions, or would like to meet the speaker, please contact
Katherine at 773-834-1994 or  <mailto:kcumming at tti-c.org>
kcumming at tti-c.org. For information on future TTI-C talks or events,
please go to the  <http://ttic.uchicago.edu/events/events_dyn.php> TTI-C
Events page.