[Colloquium] TTI-C Talk Sham Kakade (2/16/05 @ 3:00pm)

Katherine Cumming kcumming at tti-c.org
Tue Feb 15 09:35:19 CST 2005

TOYOTA TECHNOLOGICAL INSTITUTE TALK

Wednesday, February 16th 3:00 pm
TTI-C Conference Room (1427 E. 60th St. - 2nd Floor)
Refreshments provided

Speaker: Sham Kakade, University of Pennsylvania
Speaker's homepage: http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~skakade/
Title: Computation and Learning in Economic Networks
Abstract:
Network models for game theory and economics provide a powerful
framework for studying strategic interactions in large population
settings. The semantics of these networks are that nodes represent
parties (e.g. players or consumers) and edges represent strategic or
economic interactions. These models allow the incorporation of rich
structure into the network, allowing the promise of increased
applicability of strategic reasoning to large, complex systems. In this
talk, I will present algorithms and learning models for game theoretic
and economic equilibria --- focusing on how the network structure
influences the learning process and the outcomes. This work highlights
many natural connections to AI and modern probabilistic modeling. I will
also provide results at the intersection of this line of study and
topics in social network theory. This is joint work with Dean Foster,
Michael Kearns, John Langford, Luis Ortiz, Robin Pemantle, and Siddharth
Suri.
If you have questions, or would like to meet the speaker, please contact
Katherine at 4-1994 or kcumming at tti-c.org. For information on future
TTI-C talks or events, please go to the TTI-C Events
<http://ttic.uchicago.edu/events/events_dyn.php>  page.