[Colloquium] Reminder: Show & Tell Series at TTI-C (Today @ 12:15pm)

Katherine Cumming kcumming at tti-c.org
Tue Feb 15 08:37:13 CST 2005

TTI-C SHOW AND TELL SERIES TALK

Speaker: Adam Kalai, TTI-C
Speaker's home page: http://www.tti-c.org//kalai.html

Time: Tuesday, February 15th
Location: TTI-C Conference Room
Lunch/Refreshments Provided  @ 12:00pm
Seminar @ 12:15p
Learning probabilities, learning theory, and regressing to regression
Abstract:
Much of the work in Computational Learning Theory has focused on hard
classification. One is given a set of labeled training data, for example
a set of job applications labeled by weather or not they led to a
successful hire, and one wants to develop a rule for automatically
predicting whether or not future candidates will be hired, based on
their applications. Clearly, it would be more useful to predict the
*probability* that a candidate will be hired.

This is now recognized as a central problem in Machine Learning. In
fact, this is a special case of regression, long studied by
statisticians. I will describe some of the basic models from
Computational Learning Theory. I will also relate this to some basic
models from statistics, both old and new. The "point" is that
Computational Learning Theory gives a fresh perspective on regression by
giving provable guarantees about efficiency and accuracy of regression
algorithms on various classes of functions. No background in learning is
assumed.

If you have questions, or would like to meet the speaker, please contact
Katherine at 4-1994 or kcumming at tti-c.org.  For information on future
TTI-C talks or events, please go to the TTI-C Events page:
http://www.tti-c.org/events.html