[Colloquium] Tomorrow: Xiao/MS Presentation/Dec. 6, 2005

Margaret Jaffey margaret at cs.uchicago.edu
Mon Dec 5 15:04:22 CST 2005

This is a reminder that Yingqi Xiao's Master's Presentation will be
held tomorrow morning.

----------------------------
Date:  Tuesday, December 6, 2005

Time:  10:30 a.m.

Place:  Ryerson 251

M.S. Candidate:  Yingqi Xiao

M.S. Paper Title:  Toward Optimization of Concurrent ML

Abstract:
Concurrent ML(CML) is a statically-typed higher-order concurrent
language
that is embedded in Standard ML. Its most notable feature are first-
class
synchronous operations, which allow programmers to encapsulate
complicated
communication and synchronization protocols as first-class abstractions.
This feature encourages a modular style of programming, where the actual
underlying channels used to communicate with a given thread are hidden
behind data and type abstraction.

While CML has been in active use for well over a decade, little
attention
has been paid to optimizing CML programs. In this paper, we present a
new
program analysis for statically-typed higher-order concurrent languages
that is a significant step toward optimization of CML. Our technique is
modular (i.e., it analyses and optimizes a single unit of abstraction
at a
time), which plays to the modular style of many CML programs. The
analysis
consists of two major components: the first is a type-sensitive
control-flow analysis that uses the program's type-abstractions to
compute
more precise results. We then construct a control-flow graph from the
results of the CFA and analyze the flow of known channel values using
the
graph. Our analysis is designed to detect special patterns of use, such
as one-shot channels, fan-in channels, and fan-out channels. These
special patterns can be exploited by using more efficient
implementations
of channel primitives. We show that our analysis is correct.

Advisor:  Prof. John Reppy

A draft copy of Yingqi Xiao's MS Paper is available in Ry 161A,

Margaret P. Jaffey                             margaret at cs.uchicago.edu
Department of Computer Science
Student Support Rep (Ry 161A)        (773) 702-6011
The University of Chicago                  http://www.cs.uchicago.edu