[Colloquium] Reminder: Talk Today @ TTI-C 3:00pm

Katherine Cumming kcumming at tti-c.org
Thu Apr 14 08:46:10 CDT 2005

Guest Speaker
Speaker:  Eitan Sharon, Weizmann Institute of Science, Rehovot, Israel.
Speaker's homepage:  www.dam.brown.edu/people/eitans
Time:  Thursday, April 14th @ 3:00pm
Location:  TTI-C Conference Room
Title:  Multiscale Image Segmentation and Shape Analysis
Abstract:
Image understanding necessarily includes two consecutive steps that can
serve as the basis for many higher level tasks such as object
recognition. The first is segmenting images into coherent
regions/objects, and the second is analyzing the shape of such regions.
In this talk I will present novel methods to tackle both these tasks.
First I will introduce segmentation by weighted aggregation (SWA), an
adaptive multiscale method for highly efficient extraction of coherent
regions, producing a full hierarchy of salient image parts. This
algorithm is inspired by algebraic multigrid theory, and was developed
with Ronen Basri and Achi Brandt in the Weizmann Institute of Science.
Second I will introduce the construction of a metric space of shapes,
allowing their classification by unique best deformations between
shapes. This shape space is constructed using conformal mapping theory,
and is a joint work with David Mumford in Brown University.

If you have questions, or would like to meet the speaker, please contact
Katherine at 773-834-1994 or kcumming at tti-c.org.   For information on
future TTI-C talks and events, please go to the TTI-C Events page:
http://www.tti-c.org/events.html.  TTI-C (1427 East 60th Street,
Chicago, IL  60637)