[Colloquium] TALK by Gary L. Miller, CMU, on Thursday April 14, 2004

Margery Ishmael marge at cs.uchicago.edu
Wed Apr 13 11:41:38 CDT 2005

DEPARTMENT OF COMPUTER SCIENCE

Date: Thursday, April 14th, 2005
Time: 3:00 p.m.
Place: Ryerson 251

Speaker:  GARY L. MILLER

From: Carnegie Mellon University

Title:  TUMBLE a software package for the simulation of soft tissues in
2D

Abstract:

As biology, as well as many other fields, requires computer
simulations of highly deformable materials, we have developed a 2D
moving-mesh package for the simulation of soft tissues.  We have
started with the simulation of red blood cells in a fluid flow where
the cells as well as the containing vessel, such as a heart, may be
highly deformable and have interesting dynamics.  We have chosen the
Lagrangian approach, that is, we move the mesh with the material. This
method over say Eulerian has the advantage that the systems to be
solved at each time frame, for say Navier-Stokes with immerse
membrane, are all linear.  In addition, there are many other
advantages that we will discuss in the talk. The main downside,
though, is that the meshing problems become much more difficult.  We
show how to address these meshing problems, as well as show some
interesting simulations.

This represents joint work with David E. Cardoze, Mark Olah, and Todd
Phillips.

Host: Robert Kirby

*Refreshments will be served in Ryerson 255 after the talk*

People in need of assistance should call 773-834-8977 in advance.