[Colloquium] Reminder--Talk by Vasile Rus today

Meridel Trimble mtrimble at tti-c.org
Mon Apr 7 09:07:22 CDT 2003

--------

TOYOTA TECHNOLOGICAL INSTITUTE
--------

Date: Monday, April 7th, 2003

Time: 2:30 p.m.

Place: Ryerson Hall 251

Speaker: Vasile Rus
Southern Methodist University

http://engr.smu.edu/~vasile/research.html

Title: Logic Form and Its Application to Question Answering

Abstract:
Automated reasoning is one of the most challenging issues in Artificial
Intelligence. We present here a computational representation, called the logic
form (LF), that enables automated reasoning on English texts. LF is simple,
first order logic and embeds lexical, syntactic and semantic information. We
show a frequency-based method for deriving logic forms and address the issues
of part of speech tagging and syntactic parsing since our approach relies on
the structural formation embedded in a syntactic parse tree. In addition we
present how to boost the performance of a state of the art Question Answering
system using logic forms and world knowledge from concept definitions in
WordNet, a lexical database of English. First, concept definitions are
transformed in LF and further into axioms. Then, from a set of candidate
answers we try to identify the correct answer using unification and a set of
inference rules based on semantic relations in WordNet. We conclude by having a
discussion about the advantages of concept-based knowledge representation
versus predicate-based knowledge representation.
*Refreshments will be served after the talk in Ryerson 255*