[Colloquium] Brigitte Pientka talk--4/9/03

Meridel Trimble mtrimble at tti-c.org
Fri Apr 4 13:29:23 CST 2003

--------

TOYOTA TECHNOLOGICAL INSTITUTE
--------

Date: Wednesday, April 9th, 2003

Time: 2:30 p.m.

Place: Ryerson Hall 251

Speaker: Brigitte Pientka
Carnegie Mellon University

http://www-2.cs.cmu.edu/~bp/

Title: Logic Form and Its Application to Question Answering

Abstract:
The logical framework Twelf provides an experimental platform to specify,
implement and execute formal systems. One of its applications is in proof-
carrying code and proof-carrying authentication, where it is successfully used
to specify and verify formal guarantees about the run-time behavior of
programs. These real-world applications have exposed some critical bottlenecks:
execution of many logical specifications is severely hampered and some are not
executable at all, thereby limiting its application in practice.
In this talk, I will describe three optimizations which substantially improve
the performance and extend the power of the existing system. First, I give an
optimized unification algorithm for logical frameworks which allows us to
eliminate unnecessary occurs-checks. Second I present a novel execution model
based on selective memoization and third I will discuss term indexing
techniques to sustain performance in large-scale examples. As experimental
results will demonstrate, these optimizations taken together constitute a
significant step toward exploring the full potential of logical frameworks in
real-world applications.
*Refreshments will be served after the talk in Ryerson 255*

If you wish to meet with the speaker, please send e-mail to Meridel Trimble
mtrimble at uchicago.edu