ColloquiaLeonid Zhukov's talk on Friday, April 26, 2002

Margery Ishmael marge at cs.uchicago.edu
Thu Apr 11 16:47:23 CDT 2002

Friday, April 26
in Ryerson 251
at 2:30 pm

"Scientific Computing and Visualization for Biomedical Inverse Problems"

Leonid Zhukov, Ph.D.
Computer Science, Caltech

Abstract:
Biomedicine has been a focus of attention of the research community for many
years due to its potential for significant impact on human life. Only
recently computers have become powerful enough to handle the large amount
of data and the complexity of the computations required for today's
biomedical problems. It is now possible for computer scientists and
engineers to make
significant contributions by performing biologically sound, physically based
and mathematically correct simulations and quantitative predictions.  Many
biomedical problems require reconstruction of the properties of a system
from its measured behavior, including reconstruction of electrical,
mechanical, structural and other properties. This class of the problems is
known as inverse problems.

In this talk I will discuss two of my recent research projects in biomedicine:

I) Modeling the distribution of electric fields in the human brain from EEG
data.
Electroencephalographic (EEG) recording provides the information of the
potential distribution (voltages) on the surface of the head caused by
brain activity. Diseases like epilepsy can cause some abnormal patterns.
The goal of the project is to use EEG information to locate the areas of
the brain (sources) that cause seizures. Source localization is an
ill-posed inverse problem and I will discuss regularization techniques and
a reciprocity based FEM method I have developed to solve it.

II) Recovering structure and connectivity in a living human brain from
diffusion tensor MRI data. DT-MRI is a new modality that acquires
information about the diffusion properties of the imaged tissue. Since
water molecules diffuse easier along the white matter fibers in the brain
than across, the diffusion coefficients contain the information about the
fiber directions. The goal of the project is to use the directional
information to 1) segment out brain structures and 2) reconstruct the major
white matter pathways. I will present my recent
work on "oriented tensor" reconstructing techniques for recovering white
matter fiber tracts, and the application of level set methods to model
extraction from volumetric data.

Bio:
Leonid Zhukov is currently a senior research scientist in the Computer
Science Department at the California Institute of Technology. He received
his B.S and M.S. in physics and engineering from Moscow Engineering and
Physics Institute in 1993 and Ph.D. from the University of Utah in 1998.
After graduation he continued his work at the Scientific Computing and
Imaging Institute, University of Utah. His main research interests lie
within the fields of scientific computing, visualization and computer
graphics. He is particularly interested in applications of computer and
computational science to biomedicine.

Host: Prof. Rick Stevens

*The talk will be followed by refreshments in Ryerson 255*
If you would like to meet the speaker, please send e-mail to
marge at cs.uchicago.edu
Persons who need assistance should call 773.834.8977

Margery Ishmael
Secretary to the Chairman, Department of Computer Science
The University of Chicago
tel. 773.834.8977  fax. 773.702.8487