ColloquiaWang-Chiew Tan - Friday, April 19

Margery Ishmael marge at cs.uchicago.edu
Wed Apr 10 16:11:47 CDT 2002

Friday, April 19, 2002
2:30 pm
Ryerson 251

Wang-Chiew Tan
Department of Computer & Information Science
University of Pennsylvania

Title : Where did my data come from? Annotating and Archiving Databases

Abstract:
Publishing data on the Web has revolutionized the way much scientific
research is conducted.  However it also brings new problems and new
opportunities. Among the problems is that it is often difficult to trace a
piece of data to its source, since it may have moved through several
databases being transformed and edited on its journey from the
source.  Worse, the source may no longer exist!   Knowing the source and
provenance is essential for its scientific credibility.  Among the
opportunities is that scientists now want to annotate a data element and to
have their annotations spread to other people who look at the same
element.  This is related to provenance because the annotation should
"spread" back to the source and forwards to other databases and users.

This talk deals with two issues concerned with provenance.  I will
first examine the problem of propagating annotations through queries
and show a dichotomy of complexity for this problem.  In the second
part of the talk, I will describe a new technique for archiving data that
allows all versions of an evolving scientific database to be stored and
retrieved with very small overhead.
http://www.cis.upenn.edu/~wctan/

Host: Svetlozar Nestorov

*The talk will be followed by refreshments in Ryerson 255*

If you wish to meet the speaker, please send e-mail to marge at cs.uchicago.edu

Persons with disabilities who may need assistance should call 773.834.8977

Margery Ishmael
Secretary to the Chairman, Department of Computer Science
The University of Chicago
tel. 773.834.8977  fax. 773.702.8487