ColloquiaTalk by Isabel F. Cruz on Tuesday, May 1st

Margery Ishmael marge at cs.uchicago.edu
Wed Apr 25 17:17:02 CDT 2001

Tuesday, May 1st at 2:30 p.m. in Ryerson 277

Isabel F. Cruz
Worcester Polytechnic Institute

An Integrated Approach to Querying and Visualizing Heterogeneous
Multimedia Data

In this talk, we present the DelaunayMM framework for heterogeneous
multimedia repositories, which tightly integrates querying and
visualization capabilities. This framework provides a carefully designed
user interface and advanced refinement and customization features. With
DelaunayMM, users build virtual document styles that cater the display
of query results to their needs and tasks. Virtual documents with
multimedia components visualize the results of the queries. Refinement
capabilities reduce the query output size. We also give sample
applications of DelaunayMM, including the "rescue mission" scenario and
the "election results" scenario. We conclude with a discussion of
current research directions, such as the integration of ontologies to
provide transparent access to heterogeneous XML repositories and the
exploration of metadata to support the semi-automatic generation of
meaningful multimedia layouts.
http://www.cs.wpi.edu/~ifc/
*The talk will be followed by refreshments in Ryerson 255*
If you would like to meet the speaker, please send e-mail to
marge at cs.uchicago.edu

--
Margery Ishmael
Department of Computer Science