[Haizea] More feedback should be given to the user requesting a VM

Zaina AFOULKI zaina.afoulki at ensi-bourges.fr
Tue Apr 5 06:07:45 CDT 2011

 Hi,

 When OpenNebula uses Haizea as a scheduling back-end and if a lease is
 refused (for lack of resources or placement policies) or postponed (in
 case of a best effort lease), its STATE remains "pending" with "onevm
 list". The user who requested it isn't aware that it's been denied or
 postponed.

 If we assume that he can't override the scheduler's decisions with
 "onevm deploy" then he can't run any VMs since he doesn't know why they
 are being denied. I think there should be some more feedback given to
 the user. For example, we could change the VM status/state to something
 more telling or indicate something in the VM logs or even remove the VM
 from the list showed with "onevm list" (there is no point really in
 keeping it in the list if it has been denied)...

 I believe the same issue applies for the default scheduler.
 I'm not sure if this is something that needs to be addressed on the
 OpenNebula side, the scheduler side or maybe both.

 Thank you,

--
 Zaina