[Haizea] Capacity increases or decreases?

Borja Sotomayor borja at borjanet.com
Thu Oct 21 11:32:50 CDT 2010

Hi,

> Is it possible to understand after the amount of time returned by
> get_capacity_duration(self, node, time) of AvailabilityWindow, the
> capacity of a node will be decreased or will be increased?

The way the AvailabilityWindow works, the capacity will always
decrease after that time. This is because the AvailabilityWindow is
used to determine how long we can reserve resources starting at a
specific time. So, if I need to reserve 1024 of MB starting at time
t_1, and I know there is only 1024 MB available now in a node, I don't
really care if more resources become available at a later time t_2,
because what I'm interested is in those 1024 MB starting at t_1 (the
window is always pivoted at a specific time). On the other hand, if
the capacity decreases at t_2, it means that I would only be able to
reserve 1024MB (uninterrupted) from t_1 to t_2.

Not to say that the increase in capacity wouldn't be relevant to the
scheduler. However, the way it deals with it is by shifting the
availability window forward to see what the availability looks
starting at t_2.

Cheers!
--
Borja Sotomayor
-Scientific Writer at UChicago's Computation Institute