[Haizea] Multi-instance restype vs. higher capacity

Borja Sotomayor borja at borjanet.com
Mon Oct 18 18:01:22 CDT 2010

Hi,

> That's very interesting. In a virtualization environment, which scenario
> makes more sense? If seems first that scenario (1) is natural but if the
> hypervisor is  smart enough (e.g, with cgroups, maybe) scenario (2) seems
> possible and makes better resource utilization.

I would be inclined to say that, in most cases, it would be (1), but I
agree that (2) could make sense in certain cases.

> Is there a way for haizea to choose to work with scenario (2) (I think the
> current ONE+Haizea is scenario (1), right?).

Yes, the default is (1). There is no way of doing scenario (2),
although doing so should involve some fairly minor code changes (just
telling Haizea to interpret 800 from OpenNebula as "a single CPU with
800% capacity" instead of "a multi-instance CPU with 8 instances, each
with 100% capacity").

Cheers!
--
Borja Sotomayor
-Scientific Writer at UChicago's Computation Institute