[Haizea] Final CPU Utilization

Borja Sotomayor borja at borjanet.com
Tue Jun 15 13:52:54 CDT 2010

Hi,

> Interesting issue with utilization.
> So you mean because of ramp down effect even
> CPUUtilizationProbe.COUNTER_UTILIZATION counter will not be a very good
> parameter to show CPU Utilization in general?

It's not a good parameter if you look at individual values (even the
running average) because those values are going to suffer from a
ramp-down effect (in fact, there's also a ramp-up effect: at the start
of the experiment, there will be an initial period of underutilization
until enough requests have been made). I do find it useful for
debugging purposes: it's a quick way to check if utilization is what I
expect it to be (specially if I'm testing an algorithm that's supposed
to result in higher utilization)

To get a more accurate utilization metric, it's better to rely on the
full raw data (i.e., all the utilization values throughout the entire
duration of the experiment) so you can process it and remove ramp-up
and ramp-down effects. I typically do this with R (mostly because it's
what I use to generate all my graphs), but it shouldn't be hard to do
in Python.

Cheers!
--
Borja Sotomayor
PhD Candidate in Computer Science, University of Chicago