[Haizea] Q: integration with eucalyptus

Borja Sotomayor borja at borjanet.com
Mon Dec 28 11:36:56 CST 2009

Hi,

> Is is possible to integrate Haizea with Eucalyptus. Have someone try to do it?

Integration with Eucalyptus is not on our roadmap, although I don't
know if anyone else might have looked into this. Haizea was
specifically designed so it could act both as a standalone system
(mostly to run simulations) or as a scheduling backend for another
system (which we've done with OpenNebula).

In general, if a virtual infrastructure management system has a
scheduling component that can be swapped in and out, Haizea could be
used as the scheduling backed if the appropriate glue code is written.
Since OpenNebula has a highly modular architecture (with weakly
coupled components; e.g., the scheduler is a separate process that
uses XML-RPC to communicate with the OpenNebula core), writing this
glue code for Haizea was very simple. In case you're curious, this is
the only OpenNebula-specific code in Haizea:

https://phoenixforge.cs.uchicago.edu/repositories/entry/haizea/trunk/src/haizea/core/frontends/opennebula.py
https://phoenixforge.cs.uchicago.edu/repositories/entry/haizea/trunk/src/haizea/core/enact/opennebula.py

(the "frontend" module takes care of collecting requests from
OpenNebula and passing them on to Haizea's scheduler and the "enact"
module takes care of enacting the scheduling decisions made by Haizea)

However, if the scheduling code is very tightly coupled with the rest
of the system, doing such an integration would be more difficult. I
don't really know if this is the case, since I'm not familiar enough
with the internal structure of Eucalyptus.

Cheers!
--Borja