[Haizea] What's next on the Haizea roadmap

Borja Sotomayor borja at cs.uchicago.edu
Thu Dec 17 17:00:51 CST 2009

Hi everyone,

Now that Haizea 1.0 is out, I wanted to send a message about what's on
the roadmap for the next version (Haizea 1.2):

- Support for leases with deadlines. Haizea will include deadline-driven
scheduling algorithms such that, if a user specifies a deadline for a
lease, Haizea will only accept if it can be scheduled before that
deadline. Furthermore, preemptions (if allowed by the lease) will only
be done if the deadline restriction is still met.

- Lease negotiation. The lease lifecycle will be expanded to incorporate
a negotiation phase before a lease is accepted. In this negotiation, it
will be possible for Haizea to reply to a lease request with multiple
possible leases which the user can accept or reject. The initial focus
in this work will be on supporting lease pricing.

- Lease pricing. Haizea will be able to price leases, based on pluggable
pricing leases.

Work on these features has already begun and is being committed to SVN
in the 1.1 branch:

https://phoenixforge.cs.uchicago.edu/repositories/browse/haizea/branches/1.1

There is no release date for 1.2, but I'm currently anticipating that
most of these features will be available (at least in beta) in the late
winter or early spring. A lot of this work is driven by my own research,
so my focus for the next couple of months is going to be mostly on the
simulation side of Haizea.

Nonetheless, I realize that, as has been discussed previously on this
list, the integration between Haizea and OpenNebula still needs some
work, particularly in regards to making Haizea more aware of unscheduled
changes in the VMs. Unfortunately, I don't anticipate I'll be able to
work on improving that part of Haizea until, at least, the summer.
However, if someone would like to start work on this before the summer,
I think it would make a pretty decent programming project or
masters-level thesis. I'd be happy to provide help in designing the
project and navigating the Haizea code.

Cheers!
--
Borja Sotomayor, University of Chicago