[Theory] [Theory Lunch] Christopher Kang, Wednesday 10/18 12:30pm-1:30pm, JCL 390

Antares Chen antaresc at uchicago.edu
Tue Oct 17 12:15:24 CDT 2023

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to announce that we'll be having our first theory lunch this
quarter tomorrow. It'll be in *JCL 390* during our normal time of *Wednesday
10/18* from *12:30pm - 1:30pm*, with our very own Chris Kang presenting
about quantum error correction! If you have a moment, stop by for food and
fun with others in the department.

Also, we only have one other talk scheduled this quarter at the moment (on
Nov 1). If some of you are interested in speaking / know of anyone who
might be interested, please don't hesitate to reach out. Other than that, I
hope the quarter is going well for all of you!

Best,
Antares

**************************

*Date**:* October 18, 2023
*Time: *12:30pm CT
*Location: *JCL 390

*Speaker: *Christopher Kang <https://christopherkang.me/> (University of
Chicago)

*Title: **Girard’s Paradox: **Topological Quantum Error Correction for
Classical Theorists*

*Zoom: *[link
<https://uchicago.zoom.us/j/91616319229?pwd=dDdXQnFXeGNubFRkZy9hTDQrcWlXdz09>
]

*Abstract:* The advent of larger quantum hardware has raised the question:
how will we effectively store and manipulate quantum data? While progress
in device fabrication and quantum control has been breakneck, error rates
will likely still fall between 1e-3-1e-5. These error rates are orders of
magnitude above classical hardware and would prevent useful applications.
We need Quantum Error Correction (QEC).

In this talk, I will present an intuition-focused lecture on methods to
protect quantum information. We will focus on topological QEC, which often
times maps nicely to real hardware constraints (e.g. 2D planar
connectivity). No quantum experience is required.

[Theory Lunch Calendar
<https://urldefense.com/v3/__https://calendar.google.com/calendar/u/0/embed?src=c_osgf1c1qemdras8mu7l7pdhjrs@group.calendar.google.com&ctz=America*Chicago__;Lw!!BpyFHLRN4TMTrA!pwdRh9yLA-IBD6NCNvREJGd9Nj5jtC6_N-AowF6HSwIQeb1FPAmu0L_tAsww4XtIRnQ$>
]