[Theory] Invitation to NSF workshop on quantum advantage and next steps, August 1-3, 2022

William Jason Fefferman wmf at uchicago.edu
Tue Jul 19 14:25:11 CDT 2022

Dear fellow CS theorists,

I'm happy to invite you to attend a workshop I am chairing on the topic of near-term quantum advantage at the Rubenstein Forum on the UChicago campus from August 1-3.

This is a topic that straddles many academic disciplines, but I expect many of the talks to be accessible to a general CS theory audience and I hope to see many of you there!

See the formal invite below (please register ASAP if interested)

Best wishes,

Bill

--

You are invited to the NSF Workshop on Quantum Advantage and Next Steps<https://chicagoquantum.org/events/nsf-workshop-quantum-advantage-and-next-steps/>, held on August 1-3, 2022, at the David Rubenstein Forum at the University of Chicago.

We have now arrived at a critical moment on the path towards developing large-scale quantum computers. For the first time, existing quantum experiments are pushing the boundaries of what is possible with a classical computer, and we have recently seen the first claimed experimental demonstrations of quantum advantage.

Besides dispelling any skepticism about the experimental viability of quantum computers, quantum advantage also provides a test of quantum theory in the realm of high complexity. This workshop will bring together quantum computing theorists and experimentalists to discuss the state-of-the-art research on quantum advantage.  The focus will be both on understanding these experiments, as well as analyzing the extent to which these initial “proof of principle” demonstrations can provide a foundation for the next generation of quantum experiments that will obtain speedups for practically useful computational problems. Confirmed Speakers include:

  *   Scott Aaronson (UT Austin)
  *   Abhinav Deshpande (Caltech)
  *   Xun Gao (Harvard University)
  *   Alexandru Gheorghiu (ETH Zürich)
  *   Alexey Gorshkov (University of Maryland/NIST)
  *   David Gosset (University of Waterloo)
  *   Daniel Grier (University of Waterloo)
  *   Dominik Hangleiter (University of Maryland)
  *   Crystal Noel (Duke)
  *   Changhun Oh (UChicago)
  *   Nicolas Quesada (Polytechnique Montréal)
  *   Umesh Vazirani (UC Berkeley)
  *   Benjamin Villalonga (Google)

The workshop is supported by the National Science Foundation, the Stevanovich Center for Financial Mathematics, and the Chicago Quantum Exchange.

Register here by Monday, July 25: https://form.jotform.com/221313807619050

In addition to attending, UChicago students and postdocs are invited to present a poster on the second day of the workshop (space permitting). Submit your poster information here: https://form.jotform.com/221504236431040

Sincerely,

Program Committee
Bill Fefferman (UChicago, chair)
Scott Aaronson (UT Austin)