[CS] Reminder - Danylo Lykov Candidacy Exam/May 28, 2024

Megan Woodward via cs cs at mailman.cs.uchicago.edu
Tue May 28 08:54:23 CDT 2024

This is an announcement of Danylo Lykov's Candidacy Exam.
Candidate: Danylo Lykov

Date: Tuesday, May 28, 2024

Time:  2 pm CT

Location: JCL 298

Title: Large-scale Tensor Network contractions for quantum algorithms

Abstract: "Tensor networks allow to model probabilistic processes over many variables. Quantum computing is built on using complex numbers in place of conventional probability, which is an easy change to add to tensor networks. Despite the availability of efficient tools for physics simulations, simulating quantum circuits presents unique challenges, which I address in this work, specifically using the Quantum Approximate Optimization Algorithm (QAOA) as an example.

In this work I start by delving into two basic steps of using TNs for quantum simulation: creating a TN from quantum circuit and efficiently computing inference from (contracting) a TN. Both steps have interesting optimizations that allow for orders of magnitude cost reduction. This also includes discussion on how to contract TNs on GPUs.

Tensor networks give a particular advantage for some special cases of quantum simulations, which involve calculating expectation values for shallow circuits. This allowed me to use TN simulations to study performance of QAOA and compare it against classical counterparts.

Finally, I examine various methods to reduce the memory footprint of simulations at the expense of simulation quality. These methods can simulate larger circuits but depend not only on the circuit connectivity, but on the gate parameters. As quantum circuit complexity increases, continued simulation efforts will inevitably require some compromise in quality."

Advisors: Fred Chong, Yuri Alexeev

Committee Members: Fred Chong, Yuri Alexeev, and Robert Rand