[CS] TODAY: Tristan Sharma MS Presentation - May 16, 2024

Devin Davis via cs cs at mailman.cs.uchicago.edu
Thu May 16 09:00:15 CDT 2024

This is a reminder of Tristan Sharma's MS Presentation

Candidate: Tristan Sharma

Date: Thursday, May 16, 2024

Time:  4:00 pm CT

Location: JCL 346

Title: Characterizing the Path to Sustainable and Economical High-Performance Supercomputing in Japan

Abstract: The rapid growth of supercomputing power demands necessitates innovative strategies to manage environmental impacts and costs. This research explores the operation of a next-generation supercomputing facility in Japan that optimizes for sustainable and economical benefits within the context of the country's evolving energy landscape. We assess the feasibility of establishing a world-class, sustainable and cost-effective high-performance computing facility, considering Japan's ambitious decarbonization goals and the increasing penetration of renewables in the power grid. We characterize Japan’s future energy landscape and use it to propose a flexible operation model that dynamically adjusts computing loads in response to fluctuations in the carbon content and pricing of energy, significantly reducing carbon emissions and operational costs. This study reveals opportunities for next-generation supercomputers to capitalize on periods of low-carbon and low-cost power, and considers the role of cooling systems, energy storage technologies, and onsite renewable generation in this transition. In doing so, we demonstrate the potential for dramatic reductions in power carbon emissions and costs for next-generation supercomputing systems in Japan.

Advisors: Andrew Chien

Committee Members: Andrew Chien, Sanjay Krishnan, Keisuke Ito