[CS] [HCI Club] Craig Shultz (CMU) talk: "Skin-centric User Interfaces" / Tuesday, Aug 16, at 10:00 AM in JCL 298

Jas Brooks jasbrooks at uchicago.edu
Tue Aug 9 14:15:17 CDT 2022

[image: Craig Preview 03.jpg]
*Craig Shultz (CMU): "Skin-centric User Interfaces"*

*Date: *Tuesday, August 16, 2022

*Time: *10:00 AM CDT

*Location:* JCL 298 and on Zoom (https://uchicago.zoom.us/j/99795377041)

*Abstract:* The skin is our largest sensory organ, with over 250,000
mechanical nerve sensors, yet haptic interfaces, as they exist in the
mainstream, have largely been limited to buzzers and shakers. I envision a
future where complex haptic interactions exist between humans and devices
and where interfaces are tailored to the biomechanical properties of our
bodies. In my work, I investigate practical yet powerful methods to
interface with the skin in rich and meaningful ways.

*Bio:* Craig Shultz <https://www.craig-shultz.com/> is a postdoctoral
fellow at the Future Interfaces Group in the Human-Computer Interaction
Institute at Carnegie Mellon University. He earned his PhD and MS in
mechanical engineering from Northwestern University and holds a BS in
electrical engineering from the University of Tulsa. Before coming to CMU,
he was the VP of Research and Development at Tanvas, a surface haptics
startup commercializing the electroadhesive technology he helped develop at
Northwestern. Craig's award-winning research lies at the intersection of
haptics, electromechanical systems, and human-computer interaction, as he
looks to pioneer disruptive technologies which can lead to the
proliferation of cutting-edge high-fidelity haptic interfaces.
About the HCI Club
The University of Chicago HCI Club is a space to connect faculty and
students interested in the broad area of Human-Computer Interaction.
Meetings happen roughly every two weeks and cover topics such as "what
makes a good project/thesis," "how to advance careers in HCI," paper
reading groups, and invited talks. So, no matter where you come from on
campus, if you are interested in HCI, join us! More information available
at https://hciclub.plopes.org/ <https://hciclub.plopes.org/>

--

*Jas Brooks*Ph.D. student, Human-Computer Integration Laboratory
<http://hci.cs.uchicago.edu>, University of Chicago