[CS] William Ma MS Presentation/May 19, 2021

pbaclawski at uchicago.edu pbaclawski at uchicago.edu
Wed May 5 10:15:08 CDT 2021

This is an announcement of William Ma's MS Presentation.
Date: Wednesday, May 19, 2021

Time: 11:30AM CST

Location: via zoom
https://uchicago.zoom.us/j/94889124542?pwd=VmhGVnB0VStVU2RvWUk1bTQyQldPdz09
Meeting ID: 948 8912 4542
Passcode: 755617

M.S. Candidate: William Ma

M.S. Paper Title: Reduce, Reuse, Recycle: Reusing and Sharing Intermediate Results in Dataflow Systems

Abstract: With the rise of machine learning, data systems have had to face a wide variety of requirements on OLAP queries that traditional OLAP database systems have not had to consider. These requirements place limits on both the data staleness and the query latency. This fundamental change in the usage of OLAP query results led to the rise of Lambda Architecture to temporarily smooth over the deeper issue of OLAP database systems unable to support low latency and high data freshness requirements. In this thesis, we explore the solutions introduced in prior work and the work that we plan to do in CrocodileDB in order to provide a dataflow system that better supports the modern requirements on OLAP queries.

Advisor: Aaron Elmore

Committee Members: Aaron Elmore, Sanjay Krishnan, and Raul Castro Fernandez