[CS] [masters-presentation] Wang/MS Presentation/Nov 24, 2020

Tricia Baclawski pbaclawski at uchicago.edu
Wed Nov 18 15:11:54 CST 2020

This is an announcement of Meng Wang's MS Presentation.

https://uchicago.zoom.us/j/96595776732?pwd=d3hoTXFxa094VzdsekpnZ0IxbU12UT09
Passcode: 035662

Date:  Tuesday, November 24, 2020

Time:  1:30 PM

Place:  via zoom

M.S. Candidate:  Meng Wang

M.S. Paper Title: MittCPU: Circumventing Millisecond Tail Latency
Induced by CPU Contentions in the Cloud

Abstract:
It’s important for distributed storage systems to provide stable and
low-latency services, since a slow response can be detrimental to the
whole user experience. However, in modern storage deployments,
resource sharing is a defacto configuration, and the resulting
resource contention can produce long tail latencies for the services.

To address this problem, we present MittCPU which provides operating
system support to mitigate millisecond-level tail latencies caused by
CPU contentions in the cloud. In MittCPU, we allow users to specify
SLOs (e.g. deadline) for their requests. When requests arrive at the
server side, we accurately predict request delay based on white-box
knowledge of server-side CPU scheduling policies. If the SLO cannot be
met, we promptly reject the request such that clients can quickly
failover to another less-busy node without waiting.

We have implemented MittCPU rejection in the Linux OS TCP stack, and
implemented an accurate request delay predictor based on Linux’ CPU
scheduling algorithm. MittCPU exposes simple APIs for applications and
we successfully integrated it into Cassandra and MongoDB. Our
evaluations show that compared to speculative retry, a popular
tail-tolerant technique, MittCPU can reduce the completion time of
user requests by 31-66% at 90P and 35-70% at 95P.

Meng's advisor is Prof. Haryadi Gunawi

Login to the Computer Science Department website for details:
 https://newtraell.cs.uchicago.edu/phd/ms_announcements#wangm12

Tricia Baclawski
Student Affairs Administrator
Computer Science Department