[Colloquium] Reminder - David Gonzalez-Maldonado MS Presentation/Jun 4, 2024

Megan Woodward via Colloquium colloquium at mailman.cs.uchicago.edu
Tue Jun 4 08:41:41 CDT 2024

This is an announcement of David Gonzalez-Maldonado's MS Presentation
Candidate: David Gonzalez-Maldonado

Date: Tuesday, June 04, 2024

Time: 10 am CT

Location: JCL 298

Title: Quander: Student Conceptions of Quantum Concepts from a multi-game Quantum Gameworld

Abstract: Quantum Computing is unique amongst scientific disciplines in that its disruptive potential has been widely accepted yet the technology is still years away from mainstream practical applications. We are therefore presented with the unique opportunity to define what it means to be a Quantum Computer Scientist in such a way that it does not suffer from the same representation issues that have proven to be so problematic in adjacent disciplines. Specifically, our goal is to introduce quantum computing concepts to K-8 audiences so that they can build confidence and familiarity with it.

In this paper, we evaluate Quander a virtual game-world aimed at introducing quantum computing concepts to 10-13 y.o. students. We present evidence from focus groups of pieces of knowledge that demonstrate partial and full understandings of Quander's learning goals related to the concepts of superposition, entanglement, probability, and quantum circuit construction as well as player data demonstrating how different game mechanics can facilitate the memorization of quantum circuit equivalencies.

Advisors: Diana Franklin

Committee Members: Diana Franklin, Ravi Chugh, and Barbara Ericson