[Theory] No theory lunch this week!

Gabe Schoenbach gschoenbach at uchicago.edu
Mon Apr 22 08:00:00 CDT 2024

No theory lunch this week! Though I encourage all those interested to
attend the TTIC Distinguished Lecture Series, details below:

*When:    * Wednesday, April 24th at *11:30 AM CT*

*Where:    *Talk will be given *live, in-person* at

                     TTIC, 6045 S. Kenwood Avenue

                     5th Floor, Room 530

*Virtually:  *via Panopto (Livestream
<https://uchicago.hosted.panopto.com/Panopto/Pages/Viewer.aspx?id=3c9f9fc5-5c91-405f-8ecb-b109010c39ec>
)

*Who:         *Lenore Blum and Manuel Blum, Carnegie Mellon University

*Title:        *A Theoretical Computer Science Perspective on Consciousness
and Artificial General Intelligence

*Abstract:  * The quest to understand consciousness, once the purview of
philosophers and theologians, is now actively pursued by scientists of many
stripes. We have defined the Conscious Turing Machine (CTM) for the purpose
of investigating a Theoretical Computer Science (TCS) approach to
consciousness. For this, we have hewn to the TCS demand for simplicity and
understandability. The CTM is consequently and intentionally a simple
machine. It is not a model of the brain, though its design has greatly
benefited - and continues to benefit - from cognitive neuroscience, in
particular the global (neuronal) workspace theory. Although it is developed
to understand consciousness, the CTM offers a thoughtful and novel guide to
the creation of an Artificial General Intelligence (AGI). For example, the
CTM has an enormous number of powerful processors, some with specialized
expertise, others unspecialized but poised to develop an expertise. For
whatever problem must be dealt with, the CTM has an excellent way to
utilize those processors that have the required knowledge, ability, and
time to work on the problem, even if it, the CTM, is not aware of which of
the processors these
may be.