[Theory] NOW: 4/15 Talks at TTIC: Andrew Ilyas, MIT

Mary Marre mmarre at ttic.edu
Mon Apr 15 10:58:30 CDT 2024

*When:*         Monday, April 15, 2024 at* 11:00** am** CT   *

*Where:       *Talk will be given *live, in-person* at

                   TTIC, 6045 S. Kenwood Avenue

                   5th Floor, Room 530

*Virtually*:   *via *Panopto (*livestream
<https://uchicago.hosted.panopto.com/Panopto/Pages/Viewer.aspx?id=35ec4ced-7081-4442-ac9c-b1520162c2d2>*
)

*                         *limited access: see info below*

*Who: *         Andrew Ilyas, MIT
------------------------------
*Title*:           Making Machine Learning Predictably Reliable

*Abstract*: Despite ML models' impressive performance, training and
deploying them is currently a somewhat messy endeavor. But does it have to
be? In this talk, I overview my work on making ML “predictably
reliable”---enabling developers to know when their models will work, when
they will fail, and why.

To begin, we use a case study of adversarial inputs to show that human
intuition can be a poor predictor of how ML models operate. Motivated by
this, we present a line of work that aims to develop a precise
understanding of the ML pipeline, combining statistical tools with
large-scale experiments to characterize the role of each individual design
choice: from how to collect data, to what dataset to train on, to what
learning algorithm to use.

*Bio*: Andrew Ilyas is a PhD student in Computer Science at MIT, where he
is advised by Aleksander Madry and Constantinos Daskalakis. His research
aims to improve the reliability and predictability of machine learning
systems. He was previously supported by an Open Philanthropy AI Fellowship.

* Host: *Avrim Blum <avrim at ttic.edu>
Mary C. Marre
Faculty Administrative Support
*Toyota Technological Institute*