[Theory] UC Theory seminar: a reminder

Alexander Razborov razborov at uchicago.edu
Mon Apr 15 09:54:25 CDT 2024

Sitan Chen, PhD
Harvard University

Tuesday, April 16, 2024 at 3:30pm
Room – Kent 107

Title: New bounds for shadow tomography

Abstract: As the computational resources for near-term quantum devices continue to grow, so too does their potential to help us analyze quantum experimental data and learn about the physical universe. In this talk, I will describe recent progress towards understanding the fundamental limitations contemporary devices impose for such tasks relative to fault-tolerant quantum computation.

In the first part of the talk, I will provide a gentle survey on our work in this direction over the last few years (no quantum background required). In the second part, I will focus on the question of shadow tomography, in which one is given copies of an n-qubit quantum state rho and wants to estimate certain expectation values of the state. I will present new bounds for this problem in the practically relevant regime where one can make measurements of at most poly(n) copies of rho at a time. The results in the second part of the talk are based on joint work with Weiyuan Gong and Qi Ye.