[Theory] [Theory Lunch] REMINDER: Owen Melia, Wednesday 3/6 12:30-1:30pm, JCL 390

Gabe Schoenbach gschoenbach at uchicago.edu
Wed Mar 6 07:00:00 CST 2024

Hi all — please join us *today at 12:30pm* for another theory lunch!
Details below:

*****
*Date: *March 6, 2024
*Time: *12:30 CT
*Location: *JCL 390

*Title: *How I made my linear elliptic PDE solver fast and accurate

*Speaker: *Owen Melia (UChicago)

*Abstract:* Finding the numerical solution of partial differential
equations (PDEs) has become a ubiquitous task in modern computing. Solving
these problems often requires large amounts of computational resources, and
solution methods are often highly tailored to specific problems. In this
talk, I will use the inhomogeneous Helmholtz equation as a running example.
I will describe a naive implementation of the finite element solution
method, and then describe a sequence of improvements that allow us to
quickly generate high-resolution solutions of this equation.