[Theory] REMINDER: [Talks at TTIC] Talks at TTIC: 2/21 Ayush Tewari, MIT CSAIL

Brandie Jones bjones at ttic.edu
Tue Feb 20 08:00:00 CST 2024

*When:*         Wednesday, February 21st at* 10AM CT  *

*Where:*       Talk will be given *live, in-person* at

                       TTIC, 6045 S. Kenwood Avenue

                       5th Floor, Room 530

*Virtually:*     via Panopto (Livestream
<https://uchicago.hosted.panopto.com/Panopto/Pages/Viewer.aspx?id=5022d840-7ec5-4333-a44d-b11a010008fe>
)

*Who:          *Ayush Tewari, MIT CSAIL

*Title:*           Learning to See the World in 3D

*Abstract:*   Humans can effortlessly construct rich mental representations
of the 3D world from sparse input, such as a single image. This is a core
aspect of intelligence that helps us understand and interact with our
surroundings and with each other. My research aims to build similar
computational models–artificial intelligence methods that can perceive
properties of the 3D structured world from images and videos. Despite
remarkable progress in 2D computer vision, 3D perception remains an open
problem due to some unique challenges, such as limited 3D training data and
uncertainties in reconstruction.
In this talk, I will discuss these challenges and explain how my research
addresses them by posing vision as an inverse problem, and by designing
machine learning models with physics-inspired inductive biases. I will
demonstrate techniques for reconstructing 3D faces and objects, and for
reasoning about uncertainties in scene reconstruction using generative
models. I will then discuss how these efforts advance us toward scalable
and generalizable visual perception and how they advance application
domains such as robotics and computer graphics.
.

*Bio:*    Ayush Tewari is a postdoctoral researcher at MIT CSAIL with
William Freeman, Vincent Sitzmann, and Joshua Tenenbaum. He previously
completed his Ph.D. at the Max Planck Institute for Informatics, advised by
Christian Theobalt. His research interests lie at the intersection of
computer vision, computer graphics, and machine learning, focusing on 3D
perception and its applications. Ayush was awarded the Otto Hahn medal from
the Max Planck Society for his scientific contributions as a Ph.D. student.

*Host:  <zhiyuanli at ttic.edu>Matthew Turk <mturk at ttic.edu>*

--
*Brandie Jones *
*Executive **Administrative Assistant*