[Theory] [Theory Lunch] Alex Hoover, Wednesday 2/21 12:30-1:30pm, JCL 390

Gabe Schoenbach gschoenbach at uchicago.edu
Mon Feb 19 08:00:00 CST 2024

Hi all — please join us on *Wednesday, 2/21 at 12:30pm* for another theory
lunch! Details below.

*****
*Date: *February 21, 2024
*Time: *12:30 CT
*Location: *JCL 390

*Title: *A Brief Introduction to Private Information Retrieval

*Speaker: *Alex Hoover (UChicago)

*Abstract:* Private Information Retrieval (PIR) was originally defined by Chor
et al. <https://dl.acm.org/doi/abs/10.1145/293347.293350> in 1995 and has
had many new and interesting variants/ideas in the nearly 30 years since
its introduction. In this talk, we’ll work through the original result
which shows how to build perfectly secure PIR for 2-servers with n^1/3
bandwidth. I’ll then discuss, at a very high level, some of the other
variants, techniques, and barriers to improving PIR.