[Theory] TODAY: 2/15 Talks at TTIC: Hadar Averbuch-Elor, Tel Aviv University

Mary Marre mmarre at ttic.edu
Thu Feb 15 09:00:00 CST 2024

*When:*        Thursday, February 15, 2024 at* 11:00** a**m CT   *

*Where:       *Talk will be given *live, in-person* at

                   TTIC, 6045 S. Kenwood Avenue

                   5th Floor, Room 530

*Virtually:*   *via *Panopto (*livestream
<https://uchicago.hosted.panopto.com/Panopto/Pages/Viewer.aspx?id=0c6a278d-2956-4274-8008-b1100018e9a0>*
)

*                         *limited access: see info below*

*Who: *         Hadar Averbuch-Elor, Tel Aviv University

------------------------------

*Title:*          Leveraging Multimodal Foundation Models for Exploring the
3D World

*Abstract: *Multimodal foundation models have recently shown great promise
for a wide array of tasks involving images, text and 3D geometry, pushing
the boundaries of what was considered impossible just a few years ago.
However, these models are not easily interpretable, hindering their
potential usage and adaptation for various tasks.

In this talk, I will present an ongoing line of research that leverages
multimodal foundation models for addressing the task of semantic editing
over 3D objects, and demonstrate the paradigm shift between how we
addressed this task several years ago and how we address it today in the
presence of these powerful models. By considering both their internal
mechanisms as well as their functional subparts in a standalone manner, our
work also provides new angles for understanding what is learned by these
multimodal foundation models. Finally, I will discuss several future
directions.

*Bio: *Hadar Averbuch-Elor is an Assistant Professor at the School of
Electrical Engineering in Tel Aviv University. Before that, Hadar was a
postdoctoral researcher at Cornell-Tech, working with Noah Snavely. She
completed her PhD in Electrical Engineering at Tel-Aviv University, advised
by Daniel Cohen-Or. Hadar is a recipient of multiple awards including the
Zuckerman Postdoctoral Scholar Fellowship and the Schmidt Postdoctoral
Award for Women in Mathematical and Computing Sciences. She was also
awarded the Alon Scholarship for the Integration of Outstanding Faculty by
Israel's Council for Higher Education, and was selected as a Rising Star in
EECS by UC Berkeley. Hadar's research interests lie in the intersection of
computer graphics and computer vision, particularly in combining pixels
with more structured modalities, such as natural language and 3D geometry.

*Host: **Matthew Walter* <mwalter at ttic.edu>

*Access to this livestream is limited to TTIC / UChicago (press panopto
link and sign in to your UChicago account with CNetID).

Mary C. Marre
Faculty Administrative Support
*Toyota Technological Institute*
*6045 S. Kenwood Avenue, Rm 517*