[Theory] [Theory Lunch] REMINDER: Joshua Viszlai, Tuesday 2/13 12:30-1:30pm, JCL 390

Gabe Schoenbach gschoenbach at uchicago.edu
Tue Feb 13 10:00:26 CST 2024

Hi all — please join us *TODAY at 12:30pm* for another theory lunch!
Details below.

*****
*Date: *February 13, 2024
*Time: *12:30 CT
*Location: *JCL 390

*Title: *Simulating Generalized-Bicycle Codes for Atom Arrays

*Speaker: *Joshua Viszlai (UChicago)

*Abstract:* In order to achieve quantum advantage we need fault-tolerant
devices that suppress physical error rates via a layer of quantum error
correction (QEC). Unfortunately all QEC codes to date have varying
difficulties when translated to actual hardware. In this talk we will go
over key features of QEC codes and discuss why the poor encoding rates of
popular codes like the surface code are undesirable in the long-term. We'll
then discuss some recent work on a family of quantum LDPC codes, known as
generalized-bicycle codes, which admit an efficient implementation in
reconfigurable atom arrays.