[Theory] NOW: [TTIC Talks] Talks at TTIC: 2/9 Sara Fridovich-Keil, Stanford University

Brandie Jones bjones at ttic.edu
Fri Feb 9 09:55:00 CST 2024

*When:*         Friday, February 9th at* 10AM CT  *

*Where:*       Talk will be given *live, in-person* at

                       TTIC, 6045 S. Kenwood Avenue

                       5th Floor, Room 530

*Virtually:*     via Panopto (Livestream
<https://uchicago.hosted.panopto.com/Panopto/Pages/Viewer.aspx?id=725437d7-fb8d-4be7-ae0a-b1090101c152>
)

*Who:          *Sara Fridovich-Keil, Stanford University

*Title:*           White-Box Computational Imaging: Measurements to Images
to Insights

*Abstract:   *Computation and machine learning hold tremendous potential to
improve the quality and capabilities of imaging methods used across
science, medicine, engineering, and art. Despite their impressive
performance on benchmark datasets, however, deep learning methods are known
to behave unpredictably on some real-world data, which limits their trusted
adoption in safety-critical domains. Accordingly, in this talk, I will
describe white-box, interpretable methods for photorealistic volumetric
reconstruction that match or exceed the performance of black-box neural
alternatives. I will also present recent theoretical results that guarantee
correct and efficient reconstruction using our white-box approach in
nonlinear computed tomography.

*Bio:*     Sara Fridovich-Keil is a postdoctoral fellow at Stanford
University, where she works with Mert Pilanci and Gordon Wetzstein on
foundations and applications of machine learning and signal processing in
computational imaging. She is currently supported by an NSF Mathematical
Sciences Postdoctoral Research Fellowship. Sara received her PhD in
electrical engineering and computer sciences in May 2023 from UC Berkeley,
where she was advised by Ben Recht and supported by an NSF GRFP fellowship.
Sara received her BSE in electrical engineering from Princeton University
in 2018, where she was advised by Peter Ramadge and supported, in part, by
a Barry Goldwater Scholarship.

*Host: Matthew Turk <mturk at ttic.edu>*

--
*Brandie Jones *