[Theory] [Theory Lunch] James Sud, Wednesday 2/7 12:30-1:30pm, JCL 390

Gabe Schoenbach gschoenbach at uchicago.edu
Mon Feb 5 08:00:00 CST 2024

Hi all — please join us *this Wednesday* for another theory lunch! Details
below.

*****
*Date: *February 7, 2024
*Time: *12:30 CT
*Location: *JCL 390

*Title: *"Frustration"

*Speaker: *James Sud (UChicago)

*Abstract:* Oftentimes, physicists get frustrated. So it may come as a
solace that sometimes the physical systems they study get frustrated as
well! In this talk, we will first introduce the language for how condensed
matter and quantum physicists talk about constraint satisfaction problems
(CSPs). Words like “frustration” and “monogamy of entanglement” will not
only hint at the struggles of these physicists' inner lives, but
demonstrate why it is so hard to solve quantum extensions to these CSPs.
They may also suggest why methods of a certain researcher I know have
failed, and point to more illuminating directions in that researcher's
future.