[Theory] Special Theory Talk Wed: John Bostanci

Christopher Kang ctkang at uchicago.edu
Tue Jun 13 09:01:08 CDT 2023

Time: 11:30-12 on Wed, JCL298
Lunch afterward somewhere in HP — please email me if interested so I can get a headcount.

Title: Unitary Complexity Theory and the Uhlmann Transformation Problem

Abstract:

Quantum complexity theory is typically focused on quantum algorithms for classical tasks -- those with classical inputs and outputs. However there has been increasing interest in studying the computational difficulty of tasks with quantum inputs and/or outputs. Examples include preparing ground states of Hamiltonians or breaking quantum cryptographic protocols. Many techniques and approaches from traditional complexity theory are inadequate for reasoning about such inherently quantum tasks, suggesting a need for a "fully quantum" complexity theory.

In this talk I discuss some facets and themes of a "fully quantum" complexity theory. One natural problem that turns out to be central to the conversation, and is also our main vehicle for introducing this new framework, is the Uhlmann Transformation Problem. I will motivate it, and discuss the pivotal role it plays when considering a "fully quantum" complexity theory. In particular, the problem turns out to be polynomial time equivalent to several seemingly unrelated problems, such as breaking a quantum bit-commitment scheme, performing optimal state transfer, and decoding the radiation of an evaporating black hole. Furthermore, the problem turns out to be complete for a "unitary complexity" analogue of SZK. One nice corollary of these result is a quantum emulation of a well known connection between One Way Functions and classical SZK.

Joint work with Yuval Efron, Tony Metger, Alexander Proemba, Luowen Qian, and Henry Yuen.

-C
I am on mobile and am responding quickly. Please excuse the brevity.

So sorry for the delay, here's the title and abstract:

[...]

Thanks!
John Bostanci