[Theory] UC Theory Seminar: a reminder

Alexander Razborov razborov at uchicago.edu
Mon May 15 12:47:55 CDT 2023

 Samuel Hopkins, PhD
Massachusetts Institute of Technology

Tuesday, May 16, 2023 at 3:30pm
Kent Chemical Laboratory, Room 120 (New Room)

Title: Robustness Implies Privacy in Statistical Estimation

Abstract:   We study the relationship between adversarial robustness and differential privacy in high-dimensional algorithmic statistics. We give the first black-box reduction from privacy to robustness which can produce private estimators with optimal tradeoffs among sample complexity, accuracy, and privacy for a wide range of fundamental high-dimensional parameter estimation problems, including mean and covariance estimation. We show that this reduction can be implemented in polynomial time in some important special cases. In particular, using nearly-optimal polynomial-time robust estimators for the mean and covariance of high-dimensional Gaussians which are based on the Sum-of-Squares method, we design the first polynomial-time private estimators for these problems with nearly-optimal samples-accuracy-privacy tradeoffs. Our algorithms are also robust to a constant fraction of adversarially-corrupted samples. Joint work with Gautam Kamath, Mahbod Majid, and Shyam Narayanan, to appear in STOC 2023.