[Theory] 4/21 Talks at TTIC: Fred Zhang, UC Berkeley

Mary Marre mmarre at ttic.edu
Sat Apr 15 13:45:51 CDT 2023

*When:*        Friday, April 21, 2023 at* 10:30 am** CT   *

*Where:       *Talk will be given *live, in-person* at

                   TTIC, 6045 S. Kenwood Avenue

                   5th Floor, Room 530

*Virtually:*  *via* Panopto (*livestream
<https://uchicago.hosted.panopto.com/Panopto/Pages/Viewer.aspx?id=3ceb090c-ce07-4945-9172-afe5013484c7>*
)

*Who:          *Fred Zhang, UC Berkeley
------------------------------
*Title:   *       Online Prediction in Sub-linear Space

*Abstract:* We design the first sub-linear memory algorithm for online
learning with expert advice, arguably the most basic question in online
and sequential decision making. This problem is solved classically by the
well-known multiplicative weights update method, which achieves optimal
regret but suffers a linear space complexity. We show how to bypass this
barrier. In this talk, I will discuss the main techniques, recent follow-up
works, and many open directions. Joint work with Binghui
Peng (https://arxiv.org/abs/2207.07974, SODA 23).

*Bio:* Fred Zhang is a fifth-year PhD student in the theory group at
Berkeley, advised by Jelani Nelson. He is broadly interested in algorithmic
questions in learning and statistics.

*Host: **Madhur Tulsiani* <madhurt at ttic.edu>

Mary C. Marre
Faculty Administrative Support