[Theory] UC Theory Seminar

Alexander Razborov razborov at uchicago.edu
Tue Dec 27 15:31:34 CST 2022

ATTENTION: THIS QUARTER THE SEMINAR WILL BE IN A DIFFERENT ROOM (BUT THE
SAME BUILDING)

Happy New Year to everyone.

Departments of Mathematics & Computer Science
Combinatorics & Theory Seminar

Tuesday, January 3, 3:30pm
Location Kent 102

SPEAKER: Roei Tell (IAS)

TITLE: A free lunch theorem for de-randomization of proof systems, and consequences

ABSTRACT: In the first half of the talk,  I'll set up some background, by describing two recent directions in the study of de-randomization: A non-black-box algorithmic framework, which replaces the classical PRG-based paradigm; and free lunch results, which eliminate randomness with essentially no runtime overhead.

In the second half we'll see one result along these directions: Under hardness assumptions, every doubly efficient proof system with constantly many rounds of interaction can be simulated by a deterministic NP-type verifier, with essentially no runtime overhead, such that no efficient adversary can mislead the deterministic verifier. Consequences include an NP-type verifier of this type for #SAT, running in time 2^{eps*n} for an arbitrarily small constant eps>0; and a complexity-theoretic analysis of the Fiat-Shamir heuristic in cryptography.

The talk is based on a joint work with Lijie Chen (UC Berkeley).