[Theory] UC Theory Seminar

Alexander Razborov razborov at uchicago.edu
Tue Nov 8 23:43:22 CST 2022

Departments of Mathematics & Computer Science
Combinatorics & Theory Seminar

Tuesday, November 15, 3:30pm
Location Kent 107

SPEAKER: Vladimir Shpilrain (City College of New York)

TITLE: Complexity of algorithms in group theory

ABSTRACT:  The worst-case complexity of group-theoretic algorithms has been studied for a long time. Generic-case complexity, or complexity on random inputs, was introduced and studied relatively recently. In this talk, we address the average-case time complexity of several algorithms in group theory and show that in many cases it is linear and in some cases even constant (with respect to the length of an input). Along the way, we improve several bounds for the worst-case complexity of the word problem in groups of matrices, in particular in nilpotent groups.

 Most of this talk is based on joint work with Alexander Olshanskii.