[Theory] UC Theory Seminar: a reminder

Alexander Razborov razborov at uchicago.edu
Mon Feb 21 14:04:16 CST 2022

Departments of Mathematics & Computer Science
Combinatorics & Theory Seminar

Tuesday, February 252, 3:30pm
John Crerar Library 298

Chris Jones (U of C)

TITLE: Almost-Orthogonal Bases for Inner Product Polynomials

ABSTRACT: We consider low-degree polynomials of inner products between a collection of random vectors. We give an explicit, almost-orthogonal basis for this vector space of polynomials when the random vectors are Gaussian, spherical, or Boolean. In all three cases, our basis admits an interesting combinatorial description based on the topology of the underlying graph of inner products. In the spherical case, interesting examples suggest a connection to graph planarity.

Based on joint work with Aaron Potechin.

Legal:

This convening is open to all invitees who are compliant with UChicago vaccination requirements and, because of ongoing health risks, particularly to the unvaccinated, participants are expected to adopt the risk mitigation measures (masking and social distancing, etc.) appropriate to their vaccination status as advised by public health officials or to their individual vulnerabilities as advised by a medical professional. Public convening may not be safe for all and carries a risk for contracting COVID-19, particularly for those unvaccinated. Participants will not know the vaccination status of others and should follow appropriate risk mitigation measures.