[Theory] REMINDER: 2/18 Talks at TTIC: Eric Wong, Massachusetts Institute of Technology

Mary Marre mmarre at ttic.edu
Fri Feb 18 09:50:48 CST 2022

*When:*        Friday, February 18th at* 10:30 am CT*

*Where:       *Talk will be given *live, in-person* at

                   TTIC, 6045 S. Kenwood Avenue

                   5th Floor, Room 530

*Where:*       Zoom Virtual Talk (*register in advance here
<https://uchicagogroup.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_MIgNiZOeTyGM0M5MF3d75w>*)

*Who: *         Eric Wong, Massachusetts Institute of Technology

*Title:      *     Building the Reliability Stack for Machine Learning

*Abstract:*
Currently, machine learning (ML) systems have impressive performance but
can behave in unexpected ways. These systems latch onto unintuitive
patterns and are easily compromised, a source of grave concern for deployed
ML in settings such as healthcare, security, and autonomous driving. In
this talk, I will discuss how we can redesign the core ML pipeline to
create reliable systems. First, I will show how to train provably robust
models, which enables formal robustness guarantees for complex deep
networks. Next, I will demonstrate how to make ML models more debuggable.
This amplifies our ability to diagnose failure modes, such as hidden biases
or spurious correlations. To conclude, I will discuss how we can build upon
this ``reliability stack'' to enable broader robustness requirements, and
develop new primitives that make ML debuggable by design.

*Bio:*
Eric Wong is a postdoctoral researcher in the Computer Science and
Artificial Intelligence Laboratory at Massachusetts Institute of
Technology. His research focuses on the foundations for reliable systems:
methods that allow us to diagnose, create, and verify robust systems. He is
a 2020 Siebel Scholar and received an honorable mention for his thesis on
the robustness of deep networks to adversarial examples at Carnegie Mellon
University.

*Host: **David McAllester* <mcallester at ttic.edu>

Mary C. Marre
Faculty Administrative Support