[Theory] NOW: 2/17 Talks at TTIC: Stella Yu, UC Berkeley

Mary Marre mmarre at ttic.edu
Thu Feb 17 11:02:27 CST 2022

*When:*        Thursday, February 17th at* 11:00 am CT*

*Where:       *Talk will be given *live, in-person* at

                   TTIC, 6045 S. Kenwood Avenue

                   5th Floor, Room 530

*Where:*       Zoom Virtual Talk (*register in advance here
<https://uchicagogroup.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_6-fIntttT_6jFjQygERiaQ>*)

*Who: *         Stella Yu, UC Berkeley

*Title:      *     Zero-Shot Representation Learning from Natural Visual
Data

*Abstract:* Human vision develops on its own upon natural visual
stimulation without external supervision.  Data-driven computational
modeling that accomplishes the same not only sheds light on human visual
perception, but also opens exciting new ways for scientists, engineers, and
clinicians to look at their data and make novel discoveries.  I will
discuss my latest progress on unsupervised learning of visual recognition
from natural data along with their applications, such as the emergence of
objectness from watching unlabeled videos and hierarchical scene parsing
from a collection of unlabeled images.

*Bio: *Stella Yu is the Director of Vision Group at the International
Computer Science Institute, a Senior Fellow at the Berkeley Institute for
Data Science, and on the faculty of Computer Science, Vision Science,
Cognitive and Brain Sciences at UC Berkeley.  Dr. Yu is interested not only
in understanding visual perception from multiple perspectives, but also in
using computer vision and machine learning to automate and exceed human
expertise in practical applications.  Her group is currently actively
pursuing complex-valued deep learning, sound-vision integration, and
actionable mid-level representation learning from non-curated data with
minimal human annotations.

*Host: **Greg Shakhnarovich* <greg at ttic.edu>

Mary C. Marre
Faculty Administrative Support