[Theory] NOW: 2/14 Talks at TTIC: Daphne Ippolito, University of Pennsylvania

Mary Marre mmarre at ttic.edu
Mon Feb 14 11:30:40 CST 2022

*When:*        Monday, February 14th at* 11:30 am CT*

*Where:       *Talk will be given *live, in-person* at

                   TTIC, 6045 S. Kenwood Avenue

                   5th Floor, Room 530

*Where:*       Zoom Virtual Talk (*register in advance here*
<https://uchicagogroup.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_Ijpmbu9PTpS73C_G-4kMLQ>)

*Who: *         Daphne Ippolito, University of Pennsylvania

*Title:* The Implications of (Near) Human-Level Language Generation by
Computers

*Abstract:  *One of the oldest goals of artificial intelligence is to have
computers that can use language with human-like ability. State-of-the-art
massive neural networks produce remarkably high-quality text. Does this
mean we have achieved AI’s longstanding goal? In this talk, I address two
concerns about neural text generation systems. First, I present a
large-scale, systematic study of how humans and automatic classifiers fare
at detecting generated text. I show that the strategies used to produce
text that is harder for humans to detect result in generated text that is
more detectable by automatic systems. Second, I describe how neural
language models are capable of memorizing significant amounts of their
training data (potentially raising privacy and copyright concerns). I show
that deduplication of training data is an effective mitigation strategy.
Despite their limitations, human-level text generation systems provide very
exciting opportunities, especially in the area of human-AI
collaboration–where language generation tools are used to assist rather
than replace human writers. I present Wordcraft, an AI-assisted writing
tool developed in collaboration with colleagues at Google, that gives a
glimpse into the future of next-generation word processors.

*Bio: *Daphne Ippolito is a final-year PhD student at University of
Pennsylvania and a research scientist at Google Brain. She is co-advised by
Professor Chris Callison-Burch at UPenn and Principal Scientist Douglas Eck
at Google. Her research focuses on large-scale neural language models for
text generation, spanning multiple dimensions, including decoding
strategies, evaluation methods, and use in creative-writing applications.
During her PhD, she has published over eight papers at top venues,
including ACL, EMNLP, and NeurIPS. Prior to UPenn, she completed her
bachelors at University of Toronto.

*H**ost: Karen Livescu <klivescu at ttic.edu>*
Mary C. Marre
Faculty Administrative Support