[Theory] REMINDER: 2/2 Talks at TTIC: Ainesh Bakshi, Carnegie Mellon University

Mary Marre mmarre at ttic.edu
Wed Feb 2 10:30:00 CST 2022

*When:*      Wednesday, February 2nd at* 11:30 am CT*

*Where:*     Zoom Virtual Talk (*register in advance here*
<https://uchicagogroup.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_J_gBUwZZS5yH_x0S7eSTmw>)

*Who: *       Ainesh Bakshi, Carnegie Mellon University

*Title:*        Analytic Techniques for Robust Algorithm Design

*Abstract:*
Modern machine learning relies on algorithms that fit expressive models to
large datasets. While such tasks are easy in low dimensions, real-world
datasets are truly high-dimensional. Additionally, a prerequisite to
deploying models in real-world systems is to ensure that their behavior
degrades gracefully when the modeling assumptions no longer hold.
Therefore, there is a growing need for *efficient algorithms* that fit
reliable and robust models to data.

In this talk, I will provide an overview of designing such efficient and
robust algorithms, with provable guarantees, for fundamental tasks in
machine learning and statistics. In particular, I will describe two
complementary themes arising in this area: *high-dimensional robust
statistics* and *fast numerical linear algebra*. The first addresses how to
fit expressive models to high-dimensional datasets in the presence of
outliers and the second develops fast algorithmic primitives to reduce
dimensionality and de-noise large datasets. I will focus on recent results
on robustly learning mixtures of arbitrary Gaussians and describe the new
algorithmic ideas obtained along the way. Finally, I will make the case for
analytic techniques, such as convex relaxations, being the natural choice
for robust algorithm design.

*Host:* *Yury Makarychev <yury at ttic.edu>*

Mary C. Marre
Faculty Administrative Support